Search, view, crop, and download each page of the following newspapers:
Gallipolis Daily Tribune (1895-selected dates in 2017)
Times Sentinel (1895-selected dates in 2017)
Gallia Times (1946-1966)
Gallipolis Tribune (1901-1902)
Daily Tribune (1907-1928)
Saturday Times Sentinel (2002-2003)
Please note that not all issues are available for all years.
This archive is most suited to printed text rather than photos. Higher quality copies of newspaper photos can be viewed and copied at the Library from the master microfilmed copy of the paper. Those unable to visit the Library can contact the Reference Department for help.
Requests by email, letter, or telephone must be specific. Staff does only limited research.
There will be a $3.00 fee per obituary ordered through the Library and/or R.B. Hayes Obituary Index.
Mailed copy requests, including newspaper article requests, or requests for copies from genealogy materials, incur the standard fee of $.10 per page per side. There is a $1.00 minimum fee for mailed copy requests.
- African American Heritage: A collection of resources, records, and tools devoted to African American family history research.
- Ancestry Library Edition: delivers billions of records in census data, vital records, directories, photos, and more. (In-library use only).
- Archives Unbound / County & Regional Historical Atlases: Originally compiled and produced by publishers and subscriptions agents for area residents and patrons, the original histories are difficult-to-find materials. Included in this collection on Ohio are 21 cities and regions covered in 305 titles. These titles comprise tables and lists of vital statistics, military service records, municipal and county officers, chronologies, portraits of individuals and views of urban and rural life not found anywhere else. The atlases provide additional information on land use and settlement patterns and scarce early town and city plans.
- Fold3: Fold3 provides convenient access to US military records from the Revolutionary War to Operation New Dawn. Fold3 also includes some non-military records.
- Heritage Quest: a comprehensive treasury of American genealogical sources--rich in unique primary sources, local and family histories, and finding aids.
- Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center Obituary Index: an index of obituaries in Ohio newspapers (participating counties only).
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps: Over 40,000 detailed maps of Ohio cities drawn between 1882 and 1962. Includes building outlines, property boundaries, and building use.
Other genealogical resources may be found under "Find Information / Recommended Websites."
Local newspapers: Gallipolis Journal, Gallipolis Bulletin, Gallipolis Tribune, Vinton Gallia Republican, Vinton Leader, Middleport Republican (1893-1903), Meigs County Herald (1894-1989)
Federal Census: Southeastern Ohio and some West Virginia Counties
- 2 viewer/scanners (capable of saving images and PDF files to SD card, combo SD/USB card, or USB removable drive)
- 1 microfilm reader/printer
- Reading Machine/Electronic Magnifier
- Internet access / PCs
- Wireless internet access
We offer a large selection of print genealogical resources, including:
- cemetery books
- Census indices
- early Ohio history
- family histories
- Gallia County school yearbooks
- military rosters
- Ohio Native American
- Ohio River history
- passenger & immigration indices
- Southeastern Ohio counties (Athens, Fairfield, Gallia, Guernsey, Hocking, Jackson, Lawrence, Meigs, Pike, Muskingum, Ross, Scioto, Vinton, and Washington)
- Some West Virginia counties (Cabell, Greenbrier, Kanawha, Mason, and Putnam)
- Underground Railroad
Periodicals & Newsletters
- American Spirit (DAR)
- Gallia County Glade
- Gallia Crossroads & Cornerstones
- Everton's Genealogical Helper
- Ohio Genealogy News
- O.G.S. Genealogy News Quarterly
- O.H.S. Echoes